Monday, October 17, 2011

Monday's News + Chili

So sorry but still have finished sifting through the 396 pictures I took while in NYC. It's at the top of my to do list after work today. It was a surprisingly very busy little weekend. Friday had a little girl time and some margaritas. Saturday I had to work my shift at the JL market and did a little shopping with my mama. Then the Mr. came home early and we picked out our pumpkins...pictures to come tomorrow. Hendrix didn't get to go because we had a few errands to run afterwards but we will make another trip for more gourds soon. Sunday I had a ton of house work and yard work to get done. I only accomplished about 60% but I did manage to make some pretty darn good chili if I do say so myself. I found the All America Chili receipe but did a few modifications. Also added extra cheddar, onions and parsley when bowling it up...YUM!


All-American Chili Recipe

Ingredients
6 ounces hot turkey Italian sausage - used really pork sausage and 8oz cause I like it meaty
2 cups chopped onion
1 cup chopped green bell pepper
8 garlic cloves, minced
1 pound ground sirloin
1 jalapeño pepper, chopped - did not use because I didn't have any or I would have
2 tablespoons chili powder
2 tablespoons brown sugar
1 tablespoon ground cumin
3 tablespoons tomato paste
1 teaspoon dried oregano - used fresh
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 bay leaves - I used dry
1 1/4 cups Merlot or other fruity red wine
2 (28-ounce) cans whole tomatoes, undrained and coarsely chopped - I used diced
2 (15-ounce) cans kidney beans, drained
1/2 cup (2 ounces) shredded reduced-fat sharp cheddar cheese


Preparation
Heat a large Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Remove casings from sausage. Add sausage, onion, and the next 4 ingredients (onion through jalapeño) to pan; cook 8 minutes or until sausage and beef are browned, stirring to crumble.


Add chili powder and the next 7 ingredients (chili powder through bay leaves), and cook for 1 minute, stirring constantly. Stir in wine, tomatoes, and kidney beans; bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer 1 hour, stirring occasionally.


Uncover and cook for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally. Discard the bay leaves. Sprinkle each serving with cheddar cheese.  Note: Like most chilis, this version tastes even better the next day.

And daddy finally started on the laundry room. Fingers crossed that it will be complete when I get home!

It sounds like, according to the weather man, that the second half of this week it will finally start feeling like fall! While I have enjoyed the very warm afternoons it makes getting dressed hard. I'm ready to either go back to sandals or break out my boots.

Happy Monday Everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment