Tuesday, November 1, 2011

Trick and a little Treat

Wow. I have to put my 2 cents in about my Halloween 2011 trick or treaters. First I will give them props, last night I did see some great costumes. Very little repeats and all very creative, even most of the parents were dress up. But oh man, kids these days are relentless for some candy. I got my nails done after work and didn't make it home until 6:40ish. These kids greeted me at my car and walked to my front door waiting on their candy! A couple even stuck their hand in my bowl and asked for specific candy. They some were trying to trade other candy in for my candy. Some kids flew my front door open and little Hendrix out. Then at 8:15 I was out of 5 bags of candy. Lights had to go out and these kids were still knocking at the door saying 'Trick or Treat'. Seriously who lets their kid walk up to a house with it's lights off. I promise to have more candy next year but kids please learn a little Halloween etiquette.

In other news...
Pinned Image
It's hard to believe. I really need to step it up a notch and get myself ready for the holidays!

I have to share a new go to recipe I discovered this weekend. I'm usually scared to try Mexican because it's hard to beat a dirty little Mexican joint. But I tried and I liked it and it was easy! Chicken Enchiladas via Southern Living.
Chicken Enchiladas Recipe
ingredients
5 tablespoons butter, divided
1 medium onion, chopped
1 medium-size red bell pepper, chopped
2 cups chopped cooked chicken
3 (4-oz.) cans diced green chiles, divided - I used tomatoes with chiles
3 cups (12 oz.) shredded colby-Jack cheese blend, divided - I used the mexican blend cheese
8 (8-inch) soft taco-size flour tortillas
2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
3/4 cup chicken broth
1/2 cup milk
Toppings: fresh cilantro leaves, chopped tomato, shredded lettuce

Preparation
1. Preheat oven to 350°. Melt 2 Tbsp. butter in a large skillet over medium heat; add onion and bell pepper, and sauté 5 minutes or until tender.
2. Stir together onion mixture, chicken, 1 can diced green chiles, and 2 cups shredded cheese. Spoon a heaping 1/3 cupful chicken mixture on 1 end of each tortilla, and roll up. Arrange enchiladas, seam sides down, in a lightly greased 13- x 9-inch baking dish.
3. Bake at 350° for 10 minutes.
4. Meanwhile, melt remaining 3 Tbsp. butter in a heavy saucepan over low heat; whisk in flour until smooth. Cook, whisking constantly, 1 minute. Gradually whisk in chicken broth and milk; cook over medium heat, whisking constantly, 3 to 4 minutes or until thickened and bubbly. Remove from heat, and stir in remaining 2 cans green chiles.
5. Remove enchiladas from oven. Pour green chile mixture over enchiladas. Sprinkle with remaining 1 cup cheese.
6. Bake at 350° for 20 to 25 minutes or until bubbly. Serve with desired toppings.

Happy Chilly November Tuesday!

1 comment:

  1. Haha you had some crazy trick-or-treaters! We only had about 4 groups. Disappointing. We were the only house on our street that had a light on so I guess the kids didn't want to walk the whole way for one house. Oh well the husband and I will enjoy the left over candy :)

    -Holly @ Eight Six Eleven

    ReplyDelete