Monday, January 31, 2011

I apologize for my delay.  I spent last week in Virginia with my family remembering my Grandma who became an angel Saturday, January 22nd.  It was such a heart wrenching week. 

She and my Grandfather were married over 6o years, had 3 children and 5 grandchildren.  We had the most wonderful service in the town where she lived all of her married life in southeast Virgina.  With over 200 attendees we had a tearful memorial with a poem written by my Aunt's childhood friend who grew up across the street and a heartwarming speech by my Uncle.  All of the Grandchildren spoke with the exception of me.  There was NO way I could handle it.  I can't begin to be as poetic as they were that day but as I remember my Grandma the love and patience she put into everything.  Grandma was the most patient, faithful, kind hearted, and compassion person I have and will ever know.  A true southern lady full of grace and style.  Her faith and selflessness are beyond compare.  If only I can be half the women she was I will be in good shape. 

After a beautiful service in Boykins we traveled 6 hours to her home town in the mountains of southwest Virigina.  Abingdon, VA is a beautiful historic town.  Grandma still had a sizable farm just outside of town near a small Presbyterian church where were she was married.  This small chapel is where we had another grateful service and buried her ashes on a snowy Thursday morning along side her mother and father.  

Grandma's farm is sooo beautiful.  I had a peaceful bubbling brook, rolling hills, old barns, cattle, and mountains.  I could spend days taking pictures and can't want to go back this summer for a weekend camp out.  I apologize for the poor quality photos they were taken in the dark and snowy/rain.









Psalms 100 (one of Grandma's favorites)

Shout for joy to the LORD, all the earth.
Worship the LORD with gladness;
come before him with joyful songs.
Know that the LORD is God.
It is he who made us, and we are his;
we are his people, the sheep of his pasture.
Enter his gates with thanksgiving
and his courts with praise;
give thanks to him and praise his name.
For the LORD is good and his love endures forever;
his faithfulness continues through all generations.

1 comment:

  1. Marilyn sent me here today to see these photos. They are beyond beautiful -- farm land in Virginia is close to my heart as well.

    Bless your beautiful grandmother -- may she rest in beautiful peace.

    ReplyDelete